Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Best seat in the house!

I've recently returned from a 2 week drawing trip to Paris with the Dalvero Academy and thought I'd post my happiest memory first!

My friend Audrey and I camped out on the sidewalk at the top of the Champs Elysees at around 7:30am and had to sit around waiting till around 3:30pm with no Tour action at all but we did not mind because we had a great view of the gendarmes in their snug pants, tan biceps and guns... at some point they became aware of us drawing and purposely stood in directly in front of us, No problem, I am happy to record the pleasing results of your effort at the gym! It seems they handpick the Gendarmes (French Police) from the soccer field, or perhaps modeling school, choosing only the most attractive to represent Paris on international television during the home stretch of the Tour. They are the opposite of our NYPD, fashionable, fit and with fantastic posture, and have probably never seen a donut in their lives! I apologize for my disloyalty but it's true in many cases, but, as a Frenchmen pointed out later in the week when asked why all their police are so sexy, "they may look good but they are not intimidating, whereas NYPD are scary and will actually deter crime", hard to decide who I would rather have around, I'll say a few of each.

This little drawing is from the final day of the Tour de France during the super corny sponsor "parade" and you'll notice my view was a little obstructed, but I tried my best...


enjoy ladies (and certain gentlemen)! You're welcome.

6 comments:

  1. hilarious! somehow, I think *you* were their happiest memory from that day too. love the drawing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best seat in the house - best seat period! Nice job April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I like the rendering on that derriere April. Excellent work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those gendarmes were practically preening, they were so excited to be drawn! And I think there may have been some fluttering eyelashes in the house as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes there might have been, I couldn't help it, they were lookin' all noble and handsome....

    ReplyDelete